Those enrolled in the National Leadership Council learn and put into practice foundational leadership skills, grow spiritually alongside their friends and develop a love of service to mankind. Though students spend much of the program staying in touch remotely, there are two opportunities for them to come together each year.
What to expect
- You will attend an annual All Class Retreat over Presidents Day weekend at the A/U Ranches, in Buena Vista, CO.
- You will participate in two-week Summer Experiences
- Year 1 – Orientation summer at the A/U Ranches in Colorado
- Year 2 – Adventure expedition within the US
- Year 3 – Service trip abroad
- Year 4 – Internship within the Christian Science community (usually more than 2 weeks)
- The NLC Alumni Initiative offers an optional service trip each summer
Upcoming National Leadership Council Events
NLC All Class Retreat 2018
Who: All teens, plus mentors and parents of the graduating classes. Mentors from the 2019-2021 classes are invited if you have not previously attended an ACR (the 2021 class is encouraged to attend)
When: February 16th-19th, 2018 (Presidents Day Weekend)
Where: A/U Ranches in Buena Vista, CO
Travel: DiscoveryBound NLC staff will meet everyone at the airport and transport them between there and the A/U Ranches, both ways. Please plan for your flights (DEN) to arrive before 2 pm on Friday, Feb. 16th, and depart after 2 pm on Monday, Feb. 19th. Save your travel information to input during the registration process. Southwest is currently having a sale, so check out tickets today!
Registration: Online registration is open from December 15th to January 15th. Each person must register so we can have an accurate headcount for the weekend. You will be responsible for covering your travel expenses and a nominal adult registration fee.
Financial Assistance: All teen financial aid runs through registration, so be sure to apply there if there’s a need. We aren’t able to offer separate parent or mentor assistance.
For those 2018 teens, parents and mentors, here are few additional points regarding graduation –
I promise you’re in for a real treat that you won’t want to miss – both mentors and parents! The weekend is really about your teens celebrating with you and sharing gratitude for all you’ve done to support them the last four-plus years of NLC. They’ll tell plenty of stories, reflect on how they’ve grown, and you’ll get a rare glimpse of the precious bonds they’ve formed. You’ll finally meet all the kids they’ve been talking about all these years, and I promise you’ll form fast friendships with one another that make you wish YOU had your own NLC class! It will mean the world to your teen to have you there, and they look forward to hosting you.
- Who is invited? Our facilities and programming allow us to invite only parents and mentors of graduating teens. Unfortunately we cannot accommodate younger siblings or additional adult guests.
- Weekend Schedule: Parents and mentors will be with classes throughout the weekend, with occasional additional adult programming offered. We’ll keep you engaged and inspired! You will receive the weekend schedule prior to the event. We also value your experience as we take NLC forward and will host separate debrief sessions for mentors and parents and a post-graduation opportunity for adults to reflect and share together.
- Housing: The Ranch housing facilities are filled by the many teens in NLC, so we provide hotel accommodations in nearby Buena Vista for all adults. Our staff manages the group reservation, resides at the hotel to provide guidance throughout the weekend, and provides shuttle transportation between the hotel and Ranches. We hope that all of you will appreciate this opportunity to be together as a group! We will send out more housing details before registration launches in December.
– NLC Teen Participant
Questions? Email or call 888.416.7348 x134