Our deepest thanks for your ongoing support this past year. In times filled with uncertainty and ever-changing conditions, your understanding and encouragement inspired our work. And in return, we hope you drew inspiration from our online resources, virtual gatherings and modified in-person events.
As we planned every program, our goal was always to offer you ways to feel loved and included that were also safe and responsible. Consideration for each program began with prayer. Guided by our 2020 Metaphysical Theme, “The inevitable condition whereby to become blessed, is to bless others:” (Miscellaneous Writings 127:21-22), we listened for the right way forward. If a program could be modified to safely run in accordance with local regulations while still maintaining its integrity of purpose and blessing the participants, we offered it. If it couldn’t, we postponed or cancelled it. No decision was made lightly, and came only after much prayer, planning and discussion.
The result was inspiring, safe and successful programs that blessed many participants this summer. A parent of a DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council teen shared this feedback:
Thank you for your flexibility in planning this event during the pandemic and meeting all the necessary codes and rules. Thank you for opening your hearts to this adventure and being willing to shepherd and support these budding young adults on their individual journeys of self-discovery, God-discovery and leadership…
To keep you up to date, here is an overview of the changes that were made, the programs that were run and what the plans are for this fall:
- The All-ages Spring Weekend, 20s/30s Retreat at Crystal Lake Camps, 20s/30s MBE Longyear Houses Tour and 20s/30s Iceland Trip were all postponed.
- The Teen & Adult National Event at CedarS Camps was cancelled. Replacing it were Fall Virtual & In-person Gatherings, which provided a free online talk for all ages, followed the next day by two smaller local in-person gatherings for teens and adults. There was also a Mary Baker Eddy history talk for adults on September 24 and a teen only Bible talk on October 9.
- The Adult Colorado Backpacking Trip ran with modifications – the group was kept to cohort size and accommodations were restructured for distancing.
- New All-ages Virtual Game Nights were popular with families and several 20s/30s Virtual Hangouts gave young adults a place to gather online.
- DB Outreach will continue running Virtual Game Nights and Gatherings for all ages and 20s/30s Virtual Hangouts this winter.
DiscoveryBound National Leadership Council
- Despite much effort, two NLC classes were unable to gather for their summer experiences this year. The other six NLC classes were able to adjust their summer experience plans to keep groups within cohort sizes and go to locations that allowed them to isolate the group and stay within local regulations.
- Unfortunately increased regulations have required us to cancel the in-person format of the 2021 All Class Retreat. We are currently creating a virtual version, and still working out the logistics. Participants will be contacted directly with the details when they’re available.
- The 2019-2020 Group’s spring retreat was converted to a virtual gathering.
- The 2020-2021 Group’s fall retreat took place at the Leelanau Outdoor Center while abiding by all Michigan travel and accommodation regulations.
- The 2020-2021 Group’s winter retreat will now take place as a virtual gathering rather than the in-person event it had been planned as.
Despite the challenges of this year, we’re grateful to have been able to offer programs in a safe and inspiring manner. But we couldn’t have done it without you. We hope you’ll continue to join us in praying for our local communities, our country and the world, and we can’t wait to see you again in person when the time is right.